Friday, May 21, 2010

Teaching Social Ethics

Last week, Paulina worked on a civil rights project. Her topic was Ruby Bridges and the integration of the public school system. We went on YouTube so she could watch Ruby Bridges, The Movie. The following dialogue ensued ten minutes after she finished watching.



Pablo


What did you think about the Ruby Bridges movie? Did you like it?

Paulina


I don’t know. Why do you ask me so many questions?

Pablo


Well, I really care about what you think. I like talking to you, and you were glued to the computer watching the movie. Seems to me that you liked it.

Paulina


It made me mad. I don’t like the way people treated her. It wasn't fair.

Pablo


What wasn’t fair? Why wasn’t it fair? What made you mad?

Paulina


It is unfair that some people could not get a good education because it is very hard to get ahead without a good education.



Paulina left the room and came back ten minutes later. Our ensuing exchange is below. Bear in mind while reading that Paulina is an interracial child. She is 50% Spanish and 50% Filipino, with 50% of her Spanish background from Puertorican descendants of Spanish settlers. So, she is fairly light skinned but darker than Anglo-Saxon kids.



Paulina


Papa, is my skin dark or light?


Pablo


Your skin is perfect. You look like papa and mama. Your skin is beautiful. What are you worried about?

Paulina


Well, would I have had problems in Ruby’s time?

Pablo


I don’t think you would have had problems because of the color of your skin. My dad looked a lot like I do, and he went to college in Ole Miss in the 1950s. He was never asked to ride in the colored section. However, the fact that you mom and I come from different racial groups may have cause some problems. Back then, it was not common to see mixed couples, but we don’t have to worry about it because things are different today. Society still discriminates, but we are all a lot more tolerant today than we were 50 years ago.



This series of conversations took me by surprise. Race has never been an issue in my household. Traci and I are a mixed couple, and we have lived since we met in big, multi-cultural cities like Los Angeles, New York, and London. We have many friends from all over the world with whom we interact on a regular basis. Paulina knows other interracial kids. So, I was a bit surprised by her preoccupation.

I think I handled the situation well. First, I did not appear flustered or worried. Second, I brought up something people could have used to discriminate against her. Third, we talked about how discrimination is used as a tool to gain power. I explained that some people will use anything you can imagine to single out a group of people and be unfair to them. Finally, I explained to her why it is important to speak out against discrimination.

I am certain that I will have more conversations like this one soon. I am glad this one went well, and I hope I handle the next one similarly.

No comments: